Dixie Electric accepts applications for its Youth Leadership Program in the fall of each year. This is a fun-filled, educational opportunity for 11th-grade students in Dixie Electric’s service area. Students must be available to participate in all of the assigned dates.
Here is a list of dates for 2022 - 2023.
- Youth Leadership University | TBA
- This day will consist of speakers, games, lunch and a legislative panel discussion.
- Youth Tour Interviews | TBA
- Out-of-town judges will select two students to go to the Youth Leadership Workshop in Jackson and the Youth Tour of Washington, D.C.
- Youth Leadership Workshop | March 1-3, 2023
- An opportunity to develop leadership skills, experience the political process in action and meet other students from across the state.
- Youth Tour of Washington, D.C. | June 18-23, 2023
- Amazing tour of the sites of Washington, D.C. and a first-hand look at the political process on the national level.
The deadline for entries is August 30, 2022. If you are interested in participating in the program, you must speak to your high school guidance counselor. If you are a home school student, contact Pollyanna Magee at the Laurel office at (601) 425-2535.
Leading the Way into the Future through Mississippi’s brightest students
Dixie Electric sponsors high school juniors from its seven-county service area for all-expense paid leadership trips to Jackson and Washington, D.C. The Youth Leadership program is sponsored by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA), which brings more than 1,800 high school juniors from across the nation to Washington, D.C. each summer where they learn about cooperative and rural electrification from a national perspective. They also visit monuments and memorials and enjoy other wonderful sightseeing experiences.
School counselors nominate two students from their schools to apply for the program. Nominees participate in a day of team building and interviews where judges select the two Youth Leadership students who represent Dixie Electric. The Youth Leadership Program is also open to homeschool students. For more information about the Youth Leadership Program, contact Pollyanna Magee at firstname.lastname@example.org.